Boeing and IBM were among the large employers in South Carolina calling for the Confederate Flag to end its reign over the state capital last week. They are among a larger group of companies increasingly speaking out on issues such as anti-gay discrimination, immigration and race relations. Columnist Gael O’Brien offers thoughts on what’s driving the trend – social conscience or self-interest – and whether it matters.Full Story»
After years of inaction, federal regulators are trying to crack down on the use of cheap novelty helmets linked to thousands of motorcycle crash deaths and injuries in recent years.
A new survey of the U.S. and U.K. financial services industry finds that the upswing in financial markets in the wake of the global recession hasn’t done much to improve public perceptions of leading financial institutions – mainly because the underlying behavior of those working in the industry has worsened over the years.
Teaching our kids about sustainability and green living is one of the most important things we can do to safeguard the future of humanity and the planet we inhabit. The North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) reports that environmental education teaches children how to learn about and investigate their environment and to make intelligent, informed decisions about sustainability.
More in this category
- Corporate Speech and the First Amendment: History, Data and Implications
- Global Climate Agreement in the Works?
- Examining Success for Net Neutrality: A Lesson in Digital Power
- Housing Enforcement Group Sues M&T Bank for Discrimination
- Intuit Mistake Angers Customers and Highlights Question: Why?
- Supreme Court’s Latest Race Case: Housing Discrimination